Thursday 9 October 2014

Bokeh Hello

Today is Freshly Made Sketch Challenge day and that means a cool sketch for you to try.  This week, the lovely and talented Amy O'Neill is our sketch hostess and she has come up with a fabulous sketch, just made for patterned paper:


Of course, being someone who collects patterned paper, but never actually uses it, I went in a different direction:



I made my own background using the bokeh effect and watercolors.  I splashed on some greens and yellows onto watercolor paper and when it was dry, I sponged over using white ink and a circle stencil.  The die-cut sentiment has been sitting on my desk since March!  Yes, March!  I don't often keep UFOs as I tend to either finish the project or turf it, but this was made for a previous sketch and ended up not being used.  It's a stacked die cut using Pool Party, Gumall Green and Daffodil Delight cardstock, so it was perfect for this card.  The double bow represents the star shape in the sketch.  The die cut has been liberally painted with Wink of Stella for a lovely shimmer.


Thanks so much for visiting and I hope you've seen the rest of the amazing offerings from the rest of the design team.

Products used:

Ink:  Hero Arts Unicorn
Cardstock:  Gumball Green, Whisper White, Pool Party, Daffodil Delight, watercolor
Accessories:  Enamel Dots, Big Hello die (SSS), yellow twine, Wink of Stella

20 comments:

Hannelie said...

Ooh I am inspired!
LOVE it!

Linda Callahan said...

Oh that bokeh background is gorgeous~! And I love the big hello with the sweet bow~! Beautiful card!

Sharyn Polesel said...

I love this technique! Your background is stunning and your card is really lovely!

Lyn said...

Oh this is awesome I love the colours you have used <3

Bonnie said...

I'm the same way with patterned paper. When you can make a background like this, you don't need patterned paper! And it's the perfect home for this UFO! I think I could work a solid month on my UFOs and still not find homes for everything. LOL, I'm a better starter than finisher!

Jen Mitchell said...

Great card! I never get tired of watercolored bokeh backgrounds and a big, thick and fun sentiment! But I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what in the world UFO means.

Amy O said...

I love this color combo and I'm writing it in my inspiration notebook right now. Your background is gorgeous, and I love your take on the sketch. Fabulous card, Karren!

Jen Brum said...

Such a fabulous card Karren! Love that bokeh technique! Such great colours! Love that giant hello! Super fun!

Cindy Lovell said...

Stunning card,Karren!! I LOVE your background,still on my "i need to try that" list!! You did a beautiful job!!

Stampingcountry said...

Your patterned paper is the perfect backdrop for your sweet hello.

Jen Timko said...

Yep...I need to make this. Love, love, love!

Ellen said...

Nice, nice, nice! The technique is great and the colors too!
Well done!

Hugs from Ellen

Kim S said...

That giant hello with the lovely watercolored backdrop is a fantastic use of this sketch!!

Greta said...

I'm in awe, Karren! This is stunning! Glad someone else is a collector of pp, seldom used--LOL!

Jean said...

Wonderful take on the sketch. Your watercolored background is fantastic!

Narelle Farrugia said...

I need to try this technique as it's so effective - you really are amazing when it comes to techniques.

Amie Kiger (Kigz) said...

Beautiful background with watercolors! This one is so upbeat with the color scheme...and I bet that sentiment die SHINES with the Wink of Stella! PERFECTLY stunning! :)

Cindy Hall said...

I think it's safe to say that you have mastered the bokeh technique! Truly awesome example of how it should look! I love the enamel dots with it, too. Great card, Karren.

Rita W said...

Big Hello die on the wishlist. LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love the depth you achieved in your watercolored background. Blessings!